Monday 23 January 2012

Week 3

Well week 3 has been quite eventful, unfortunately not all good, the theme has been pretty much about my legs being tired which has made running more of a chore than the normal pleasure. I have been tweeting short comments about each of my runs this week which have probably covered most of the interesting facts, but if you really are a glutton for punishment and must have the full unedited version please try to stay awake as I prattle on, mainly about my legs, which by now can't know what's hit them this year.

Day 16. Over the weekend I had been thinking that the constant pounding down the steep Warlingham hills was agravating my aching legs so I decided for Monday that I would attempt a run on the flat. To do this I had to drive up Westhall road a bit. So I ran a new route around the village, all nice and flat but I struggled with nonetheless.(3.58 miles 5.8km 28.12 min)

Tuesday day 17. I was starting to think that a break would be wise to help my legs recover but decided to try the flat route again. The legs were still aching but despite them feeling really stiff I managed a much quicker time and in fact the fastest pace of the year.
About this time @copy7t (a fellow #janathon er) made the observation that this route made the shape of an anteater and when I looked at the route on the map view sure enough it had. This tickled my sense of humour and I promptly challenged @copy7t to do an animal of his own. (3.56 miles 5.8 km 25.32min)




Wednesday day 18. I felt I had to break my non stop running streak at this point as my legs seemed to be begging for mercy, very stiff and aching quite a lot now. I had a game of table tennis booked in with a fellow enthusiast and we had a 45min thrash about which became my #janathon exercise for the day. It was a real shame to break my intended continous running for every day but I think this was wise, an injury would be a disaster now with two half marathons on the horizon. @copy7t managed to produce a great snake shaped run which was cool and meant I absolutely had to come up with a new animal.




Thursday day 19. I was back in my running shoes even though I must admit my legs did not feel rested, one day was obviously not enough. I had worked out a route earlier in the day which I thought would give me a fabulous Rhino shape, perfect for the new animalathon. It would mean a long run, over 6.5 miles, but I was keen to try a longer run anyway so off I set. I was really slow but was not too bothered just keen that I could keep going and remember the route.
I had a couple of faster miles in the middle of the run but for most if the run the pace was slow with my legs complaining for most of the way.
When I was done I eagerly checked out the shape of the route and was pleased to see a definate Rhino shape.....with boots on...hmmm well close enough.
My daughter promptly requested a giraffe on my next run. (6.38 miles 10.3km 52.35mins)




Friday day 20. I decided on another short run to recover from the Rhino effort. This I did at a steady pace. My legs were still stiff and achy so no fun. Looking at the route afterwards, I couldn't help but think that this route was a rather good Diplodocus. Complete fluke. (3.5miles 5.6km 26.38min)




Saturday was Parkrun day and my children were both going to run the full distance, this was great news and I decided to run with them. James had another eventful Parkrun as he tripped up and fell on the first lap, but he got up and managed to hold back the tears to carry on albeit with sore hands.
Sadly I had to shoot off after the run so was not able to catch up with everyone at the Good companions.

Sunday day 22, was supposed (according to my Half Marathon training plan) to be a long 10 mile run, but given the state of my legs I decided to do a short steady run. This was probably for the best as I really struggled round my 3.5 mile route (Diplodocus) My time was the slowest of the year and this run made me think more carefully about my training over the next few weeks.(3.5miles 5.6km 28.00min)

The unfortunate theme for the week (apart from the cheerful distraction of animal drawing which has been christened #runart by another child at heart and #janathoner @rencestar) was my tired legs and while at first I was hoping that I would eventually start improving and my legs would cope, it seems this has not happened and they will need a break unless I risk injuring them. 'Listen to your body they say', well mine was saying 'rest'. I decided to change my approach for week 4 which would mean, disappointingly, (is that a real word?) a reduction in miles and runs, I would continue my #janathon with more aerobic exercise or even cycle rides and allow my legs to recover. I am desperate to start pushing up the distance to prepare for Feb 19th but at the moment there is no way I can even entertain more than 6 miles.

So next weeks target will be recovery and a giraffe

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a good idea to ease off a bit if your legs are complaining. I'm doing the same this week, but for a slightly different reason. The animals are coming along nicely, a bit of modification to the dinosaur could turn it into a contender for #runart of the month (what do you think about that idea? too much too soon?), although I think your rhino might be leading the way there!

    I can't wait to see the giraffe!

    ReplyDelete